Late Post Today, But Enjoy Your Senate at Work:
This is a real thing the Senate did yesterday in-between debating whether or not you can be held without trial if the President says so until every eeevil Mooslim is daid:
"Mr. MERKLEY (for himself, Mr. Burr, Ms. Snowe, Mr. Wyden, Mrs. Murray, Mrs. Feinstein, Mr. Casey, Ms. Cantwell and Ms. Collins) submitted the following resolution; which was considered and agreed to:
S. Res. 341
Whereas Christmas trees are grown in all 50 States;
Whereas Christmas trees have been sold commercially in the United States since about 1850;
Whereas Edward Johnson, assistant to Thomas Edison, came up with the idea of electric lights for Christmas trees in 1882;
Whereas President Calvin Coolidge started the National Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony on the White House lawn in 1923;
Whereas there are close to 15,000 farms growing Christmas trees in the United States;
Whereas there are approximately 100,000 people employed full or part-time in the Christmas tree industry;
Whereas Christmas tree farms in the United States planted approximately 35,000,000 Christmas trees in 2011 to replace those harvested in 2010; and
Whereas growing Christmas trees preserves green space and small family-owned farms, provides habitats for wildlife, and sequesters carbon dioxide: Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the Senate--
(1) designates the first full week of December in 2011 as 'National Christmas Tree Week';
(2) encourages the celebration of Christmas trees during that week;
(3) recognizes the role Christmas trees have played in the history of the United States;
(4) reaffirms the environmental benefits of Christmas tree farms and recycled Christmas trees;
(5) encourages the recycling of Christmas trees after the holiday season; and
(6) celebrates the joy Christmas trees bring to families across the United States."
You'll notice that it does not mention God. It passed without objection.
Back in a bit with more combatant rudeness.